Monday, March 19, 2007

Need to take an English class?

If you don't find these actual student errors from actual student essays funny, you might want to consider it...

Students summarizing what they have learned in a grammar and basic composition course:

  • "Now I know that subjects and verbs always needs to agree." Is that so?
  • "In class I have learn lots and lots of grammer. Writing is something else that I done." Apparently not enough of it, I guess.
  • "I've learned a lot of grammar. For example, I've learned that instead of saying, 'I had my hair done,' I should say, 'I had my hair did.'" Oh, dear...
  • "I have improved my skills using commas and apostrophe's." (Don't get this one? See the posting below entitled, "Say what?".)
  • "But the one thing that's very clear to me now, is using commas in the correct places." Don't be so sure.

And people wonder what inspires us to keep teaching English...obviously, someone's got to do it!

No comments: